It's Juju, the Canadian Fish!

Take me home, Juju!Deals, Steals, 'n Coupons      Canadian Online Shopping!     Free Stuff for Canada!     Jump into the Message Bowl!

Help & About

All Canadian,
All the time!
           Juju's Message Bowl!  
    MyBowl: Change your settings, view your subscribed threads & manage your Private Messages! Search the Bowl Help me! I'm confused!            

HOME > The Bowl > HELP! I need help with... > Microsoft (computer help)

Microsoft (computer help)

UP to previous discussion
  DOWN to next discussion
Add your Reply to this Discussion!
tiecat  
Thoroughly Brainwashed
Add tiecat to your Ignore List -- this will hide all posts and ignore all PMs from tiecat
Send a Private Message to tiecat!

Committed in Aug 2004
I'm in Toronto
Ontario
Addiction Index™: 257
May 09, 2006  4:13 PM 1

I've been using the computer today with no problems and just recently I went to use it again but something from Microsoft came up saying that the software isn't genuine(??) and do I want to update. I don't know why this would come up if I've been using this computer as is for months now. It is Windows XP. Any suggestions?? Thanks.

Edit/Del  Inappropriate post? Quote this message and Reply to it!
chdude3  
I'm a slave for Juju
Add chdude3 to your Ignore List -- this will hide all posts and ignore all PMs from chdude3
Send a Private Message to chdude3!

Committed in May 2001
I'm in the zone!
Rock rock on!
Addiction Index™: 4045
May 09, 2006  5:53 PM 2

Microsoft has recently released their "Genuine Advantage" program, and if your computer was set to auto-update then it downloaded and installed a program to check the validity of your copy of Windows XP.

For whatever reason, the check believes that your copy of Windows XP is not genuine. This could range from running an actual illegal/pirated copy of the OS, to someone purchasing a whole machine from an unscrupulous vendor who has installed non genuine copies of Windows XP on all machines they sell, to save money.

You can find more information at Microsoft's website regarding Genuine Advantage:
http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/do...hyValidate.aspx

Wanting what I've got. Life is good!
tiecat  
Thoroughly Brainwashed
Add tiecat to your Ignore List -- this will hide all posts and ignore all PMs from tiecat

Committed in Aug 2004
I'm in Toronto
Ontario
May 11, 2006  9:49 AM 3

Thanks for the info, I'll check it out. (Strange...no message come up today when I signed on.) I'm going to check out the web site anyway, thanks again.

str8jkt  
Growin' Gills!
Add str8jkt to your Ignore List -- this will hide all posts and ignore all PMs from str8jkt
Send a Private Message to str8jkt!

Committed in Aug 2001
I'm in Calgary

Addiction Index™: 816
May 15, 2006  10:48 AM 4

FYI, you can also get this message if you have made any major changes to your hardware since XP was installed. IE, new hard drives, motherboards, cpu's, etc.. (usually a combination of the above) can cause Microsoft to believe that it is a new system and give you the message you received.

Look out!! The men in the white suits are after me again!
tiecat  
Thoroughly Brainwashed

Committed in Aug 2004
I'm in Toronto
Ontario
May 16, 2006  10:39 AM 5

I keep getting the 'not genuine' pop up so we (hubby) will be updating our system.....$99 from the website!!

Rustling Leaf  
Extra Buttery
Add Rustling Leaf to your Ignore List -- this will hide all posts and ignore all PMs from Rustling Leaf
Send a Private Message to Rustling Leaf!

Committed in May 2001
I'm in the microwave

Addiction Index™: 2395
May 16, 2006  11:46 AM 6

As chdude3 mentioned, there’s a “High-priority update” on Microsoft’s Windows Update page called:

Windows Genuine Advantage Notification (KB905474)
The Windows Genuine Advantage Notification tool notifies you if your copy of Windows is not genuine. If your system is found to be a non-genuine, the tool will help you obtain a licensed copy of Windows. Date last published: 4/25/2006

Because it’s classified as a “High-priority update” it will get installed automatically if you have Windows Automatic Updates turned on. On is the default for Windows, so if you don’t remember turning it off, then it’s probably turned on.

I didn’t bother to install this update, so I don’t know where you would look for it to uninstall or unregister it. Could try:
Control Panel -> Add or Remove Programs
Internet Explorer -> Tools -> Manage Add-ons
or a Google search

Good luck!

chdude3  
I'm a slave for Juju
Add chdude3 to your Ignore List -- this will hide all posts and ignore all PMs from chdude3

Committed in May 2001
I'm in the zone!
Rock rock on!
May 16, 2006  11:49 AM 7 Save Up 90% With Our Deal of the Week at Chapters!

Originally posted by str8jkt
FYI, you can also get this message if you have made any major changes to your hardware since XP was installed. IE, new hard drives, motherboards, cpu's, etc.. (usually a combination of the above) can cause Microsoft to believe that it is a new system and give you the message you received.

Actually, shouldn't only ask you to "reactivate" your copy of windows? Just last week I had a CMOS battery die in a very integrated motherboard, and so when the machine booted suddenly a whole host of hardware showed up that had previously been disabled in the BIOS (video, audio, LAN, serial, parallel among others) and Windows popped up that enough hardware had changed that I was required to reactivate - nothing about my copy being non-genuine (since it is a legitimate copy of WinXP Home Upgrade). 10 seconds to reactivate over the internet, and it was back in business.

bylo  
I live for Juju!
Add bylo to your Ignore List -- this will hide all posts and ignore all PMs from bylo
Send a Private Message to bylo!Visit bylo's homepage!

Committed in Dec 2001
I'm in dexer
GTA
Addiction Index™: 3053
May 16, 2006  12:14 PM 8

Validation and (re)Activation are two separate issues.

The purpose of Validation is to ensure that the installed copy of Windows is genuine, i.e. that it's not some sort of bootleg version that's been hacked to disable or otherwise compromise Activation. There are dangers in running an unvalidated or non-genuine version of Windows, e.g. that it may have virii imbedded in it or that the version is old and has even more bugs than a current WinXP. I'm not sure if they're doing this yet, but apparently Microsoft will soon (maybe already) deny updates to unValidated copies of WinXP.

The purpose of Activation OTOH is to ensure that a (presumed genuine) copy of Windows is installed on only one PC at a time (or more if the specific license allows it, e.g. corporate licenses.)

In any case, where did tiecat get this copy of Windows? Was it preinstalled on a PC that was purchased new? Was the PC purchased from a "reputable" store like Dell or Future Shop? If not, then tiecat may want to report the vendor to Microsoft for possible copyright violation.

If this is a Windows upgrade, i.e. the PC originally came with Win98 installed, then where did the upgrade come from? Was it purchased from a "reputable" vendor? Or was it purchased, downloaded, copied, etc. from a questionable source?

><((((º> • <º))))><
tiecat  
Thoroughly Brainwashed

Committed in Aug 2004
I'm in Toronto
Ontario
May 16, 2006  12:19 PM 9

This computer was a gift for my son. He received it a few years ago and whatever my friend loaded onto it has been what we use....he put on Word, Excel, etc. I figure our version of Windows XP is a copy?? if that's possible so that's why we might be getting this -

This copy of Windows is not genuine. You may be a victim of software counterfeitng and not be able to receive the full range of upgrades and product support from Microsolf.

Is it possible that my friend copied XP to our computer and that's why it's not genuine?

Thanks for all your help, I'm only good at typing, shopping, freebie hunting....knowing the important ways of the computer

bylo  
I live for Juju!
Add bylo to your Ignore List -- this will hide all posts and ignore all PMs from bylo
Send a Private Message to bylo!Visit bylo's homepage!

Committed in Dec 2001
I'm in dexer
GTA
Addiction Index™: 3053
May 16, 2006  3:35 PM 10

Originally posted by tiecat
This computer was a gift for my son. He received it a few years ago and whatever my friend loaded onto it has been what we use....he put on Word, Excel, etc. I figure our version of Windows XP is a copy?? if that's possible so that's why we might be getting this -

If it was just a legitimate copy then you would have been asked to Activate it. The "not genuine" message suggests that someone used a bastardized or hacked copy of Windows to get around the Activation checking. This is a widespread problem for Microsoft because such illegitimate copies circulate on the Internet and can be easily downloaded from file-sharing sites. That's why Microsoft is checking and why you're getting the message.

Is it possible that my friend copied XP to our computer and that's why it's not genuine?

Yes. It's very likely that your friend copied an illegitimate copy.

><((((º> • <º))))><
chdude3  
I'm a slave for Juju

Committed in May 2001
I'm in the zone!
Rock rock on!
May 16, 2006  4:26 PM 11

Originally posted by bylo
Validation and (re)Activation are two separate issues.

That's what I was trying to say in response to str8jkt, that reactivation should not be related to the Windows Genuine advantage message that tiecat is seeing.

Originally posted by bylo
Yes. It's very likely that your friend copied an illegitimate copy.

It would not surprise me then if the Word/Excel version of Office that's installed is also not a genuine copy. Since Windows Genuine Advantage also applies to their Office product (although I believe only the latest version?), tiecat may also see a message regarding that software as well.

tiecat  
Thoroughly Brainwashed

Committed in Aug 2004
I'm in Toronto
Ontario
May 18, 2006  10:13 AM 12

I will be talking to my friend who knows more about this than I do. I hope I don't have to lose Word and Excel....I use them alot! Thanks so much for all your help everyone!!

chdude3  
I'm a slave for Juju

Committed in May 2001
I'm in the zone!
Rock rock on!
May 18, 2006  2:23 PM 13

If you want an alternative to Microsoft Office (Word, Excel), check out the most excellent and conveniently priced OpenOffice.Org sweet - coincidentally located at www.openoffice.org

Rustling Leaf  
Extra Buttery
Add Rustling Leaf to your Ignore List -- this will hide all posts and ignore all PMs from Rustling Leaf
Send a Private Message to Rustling Leaf!

Committed in May 2001
I'm in the microwave

Addiction Index™: 2395
May 22, 2006  4:08 PM 14

An easy way to get rid of the Windows Genuine Advantage Notification (WGAN) update is to do a System Restore back to a point before the update got installed.

After you do this, make sure you turn off Automatic Updates. If you don't, the WGAN update will get installed again.

The disadvantage of doing this is that you will have to make it a habit to regularly visit the Windows Update site and get the latest updates. Each time you do one of these manual updates, you will have to get around the site's Genuine Advantage check. There's a simple way to void the check, but I shouldn't post it here.

If all this sounds like too much trouble, then you're better off buying a genuine copy of Windows.

Add your Reply to this Discussion!
track this discussion
  UP to previous discussion
  DOWN to next discussion
Juju's Rules of the Bowl*
• Be friendly - not greedy!
• No question is too stupid! (really!)
Deal with the Gnarlies

*read the the Full rules

HOME > The Bowl > HELP! I need help with... > Microsoft (computer help)   

Juju's Bowl | MyBowl | Search Messages | List Cult Members | My Settings | Help       Join Us!
9:07 PM   

Quit pokin' me!

[Home] [Shop-O-Matic] [Juju's Bowl]
Please forward all comments, suggestions, & edible flake donations to JUJU the Bowlmaster
© 1999-2020 GoldfishLegs - All Wrongs Reversed & Trades Marked (because Fish have lawyers too!)