It's Juju, the Canadian Fish!

Take me home, Juju!Deals, Steals, 'n Coupons      Canadian Online Shopping!     Free Stuff for Canada!     Jump into the Message Bowl!

Help & About

All Canadian,
All the time!
           Juju's Message Bowl!  
    MyBowl: Change your settings, view your subscribed threads & manage your Private Messages! Search the Bowl Help me! I'm confused!            

HOME > The Bowl > HELP! I need help with... > Kitchen renos - countertop recommendations?

Kitchen renos - countertop recommendations?

UP to previous discussion
  DOWN to next discussion
Add your Reply to this Discussion!
Raven  
Thoroughly Brainwashed
Add Raven to your Ignore List -- this will hide all posts and ignore all PMs from Raven
Send a Private Message to Raven!

Committed in Apr 2003
I'm in Toronto
ON
Addiction Index™: 253
May 08, 2006  8:43 AM 1

We're planning a kitchen reno (to happen next month!). Yes, I know we're planning this a little late and we're ok with that.

I'm looking at countertop options -- I have a preference for Corain (man-made solid surface), but I was wondering if anyone's had any experience with this material and could comment.

I'm also wondering how it compares to something like granite in price. I am prepared to have the countertops installed by a professional.

Alas I don't like laminate or tile, otherwise I'd go with that cheaper option.

Edit/Del  Inappropriate post? Quote this message and Reply to it!
alligator  
Permanent Patient of the Juju Asylum
Add alligator to your Ignore List -- this will hide all posts and ignore all PMs from alligator
Send a Private Message to alligator!

Committed in May 2002
I'm in The wilds of suburbia with my
sweetie, ON
Addiction Index™: 977
May 08, 2006  1:41 PM 2

We just did our kitchen a couple years ago and we went with Acryflek countertop. We like it quite a lot. easy to keep clean. it does scratch a bit though - although it says on the website that you can buff out minor scratches with Vim (I haven't tried it yet - for the longest time the website was under construction so wasn't sure how to address the issue).

It is a Solid surface similar to corian and similar price to the cheapest corion, which i can't exactly remember what the price was right now. (different colours of corian are different prices - the lowest price level is only for the plan white or cream and you pay more for almost all other colours/patterns).

Acryflek

it's a canadian company.

If you look under colours we have 'Crestwood' - mostly black and looks quite nice with our honey maple cupboards. it has a bit of a clay/brick coloured fleck in it and we painted the walls that colour. looks sharp.

Life is not a dress rehearsal. Edited by alligator on
May 08, 2006 at 1:43 PM

Raven  
Thoroughly Brainwashed
Add Raven to your Ignore List -- this will hide all posts and ignore all PMs from Raven

Committed in Apr 2003
I'm in Toronto
ON
May 08, 2006  2:57 PM 3

Thanks alligator.

I just looked at their website, but they don't seem to have any dealers located close enough for us to reasonably consider visiting (we don't have a car).

I'll keep it in mind though! That stuff looks great.

Shazam  
Recently Committed Human
Add Shazam to your Ignore List -- this will hide all posts and ignore all PMs from Shazam
Send a Private Message to Shazam!

Committed in Sep 2001
I'm in

Addiction Index™: 31
May 19, 2006  2:46 PM 4

I'd go with quartz. All the benefits of Granite without any of the disadvantages, although it's quite expensive.

As far as I'm concerned, Corian looks terrible and is essentially just a really thick piece of plastic.

Raven  
Thoroughly Brainwashed

Committed in Apr 2003
I'm in Toronto
ON
May 19, 2006  3:16 PM 5

Originally posted by Shazam
I'd go with quartz. All the benefits of Granite without any of the disadvantages, although it's quite expensive.

As far as I'm concerned, Corian looks terrible and is essentially just a really thick piece of plastic.

I've just been looking at that too. Sounds pretty good but gee... $$$$

At this rate, looks like we'll be countertop-less for 2 months!

CSK'sMom  
Add CSK
Send a Private Message to CSK'sMom!

Committed in Jun 2002
I'm in Niagara Falls
Ontario
Addiction Index™: 1153
May 19, 2006  4:43 PM 6

As an avid baker I happen to love marble countertops. Because we plan a complete gut of out kitchen in 5-8 years I wanted a quick, fairly inexpensive kitchen makeover. Hubby installed a marble tile countertop for me. The whole project cost us less than putting in a new laminate coutertop, about $180 for just over 10 linear feet.

Janet
gilsan  
Add gilsan to your Ignore List -- this will hide all posts and ignore all PMs from gilsan
Send a Private Message to gilsan!Visit gilsan's homepage!

Committed in Jul 2001
I'm in Bridgewater NS

Addiction Index™: 1440
May 20, 2006  7:05 AM 7

Originally posted by CSK'sMom
As an avid baker I happen to love marble countertops. Because we plan a complete gut of out kitchen in 5-8 years I wanted a quick, fairly inexpensive kitchen makeover. Hubby installed a marble tile countertop for me. The whole project cost us less than putting in a new laminate coutertop, about $180 for just over 10 linear feet.

We did the same with slate, and used a matching grout colour. It looks good and cost under $500.

The house we moved into is a fixer upper so it is hard to justify $5000 to $10000 on countertops right now, and we can always install them in the future.

snugabugblankets.etsy.com Edited by gilsan on
May 22, 2006 at 9:00 PM

Raven  
Thoroughly Brainwashed

Committed in Apr 2003
I'm in Toronto
ON
May 22, 2006  7:42 PM 8

Alas I have enough trouble with the grout in my bathroom... I don't think I could handle a tiled kitchen counter!

CSK'sMom  
Add CSK

Committed in Jun 2002
I'm in Niagara Falls
Ontario
May 22, 2006  9:20 PM 9

Raven, over the years I've had both ceramic tile countertops as well as now a marble tile countertop. I've never had any issues with the grout. If it's done properly with the additive added to the grout you won't have problems. With my marble tile countertop the grout lines are only about 1/16th of an inch. One of the major things I love about tile countertops is that they are heat resistent. Things come right out of the oven and on the countertop.

Janet
dewcat  
I'm just a slave in a gilded cage.
Official Juju Slave!
Send a Private Message to dewcat!

Committed in Nov 2001
I'm in flagrante delicto
in the land of winter
Addiction Index™: 4569
May 23, 2006  4:54 AM 10

Originally posted by CSK'sMom
Raven, over the years I've had both ceramic tile countertops as well as now a marble tile countertop. I've never had any issues with the grout. If it's done properly with the additive added to the grout you won't have problems. With my marble tile countertop the grout lines are only about 1/16th of an inch. One of the major things I love about tile countertops is that they are heat resistent. Things come right out of the oven and on the countertop.

I really enjoy doing ceramic tiles and have been thinking about this. What did you do for the outside edges of the countertop?

CSK'sMom  
Add CSK

Committed in Jun 2002
I'm in Niagara Falls
Ontario
May 23, 2006  8:59 AM 11

My original ceramic tile countertop we used the ceramic edging tile Dewcat. The edging tile is made just for countertops with a slight "hump" just like a laminate countertop. It comes in both corners and straight pieces. For my marble countertop hubby finished it differently, he 45'ed the edges of the front marble trim tile and countertop tile for a very clean, modern edge. We also did a granite tile countertop for the in-laws. For that countertop he choose to lap the countertop tiles over the front granite trim tile, again for a clean modern look. You can also use a metal trim around the edges or a wood trim Dewcat, it all depends on the look you're after.

Janet
gilsan  
Add gilsan to your Ignore List -- this will hide all posts and ignore all PMs from gilsan
Send a Private Message to gilsan!Visit gilsan's homepage!

Committed in Jul 2001
I'm in Bridgewater NS

Addiction Index™: 1440
May 23, 2006  9:11 AM 12

We used a wood trim and painted it the same colour as the tile.
You can see our renovation pictures here.

The tiles are fairly clear in the images. I really like the tile, and I am very happy we did the tile instead of a laminate.

It is much tougher, you can set a hot pot on it and not worry about it melting.

snugabugblankets.etsy.com Edited by gilsan on
May 23, 2006 at 9:14 AM

dewcat  
I'm just a slave in a gilded cage.
Official Juju Slave!
Send a Private Message to dewcat!

Committed in Nov 2001
I'm in flagrante delicto
in the land of winter
Addiction Index™: 4569
May 23, 2006  4:25 PM 13

Chapters: Save On The Deal of the Week!

Thanks a lot CSK'sMom & gilsan (loved the photos!) I've been discussing this with my husband and think we might do this for a winter project. I like the original look of a lot of the tiles that are available now.

Raven  
Thoroughly Brainwashed

Committed in Apr 2003
I'm in Toronto
ON
May 24, 2006  7:53 AM 14

Oh no! Now you guys are helping me become increasingly undecided!

Thanks for all the comments -- it's much appreciated.

Add your Reply to this Discussion!
track this discussion
  UP to previous discussion
  DOWN to next discussion
Juju's Rules of the Bowl*
• Be friendly - not greedy!
• No question is too stupid! (really!)
Deal with the Gnarlies

*read the the Full rules

HOME > The Bowl > HELP! I need help with... > Kitchen renos - countertop recommendations?   

Juju's Bowl | MyBowl | Search Messages | List Cult Members | My Settings | Help       Join Us!
5:24 AM   

Quit pokin' me!

[Home] [Shop-O-Matic] [Juju's Bowl]
Please forward all comments, suggestions, & edible flake donations to JUJU the Bowlmaster
© 1999-2020 GoldfishLegs - All Wrongs Reversed & Trades Marked (because Fish have lawyers too!)