It's Juju, the Canadian Fish!

Take me home, Juju!Deals, Steals, 'n Coupons      Canadian Online Shopping!     Free Stuff for Canada!     Jump into the Message Bowl!

Help & About

All Canadian,
All the time!
           Juju's Message Bowl!  
    MyBowl: Change your settings, view your subscribed threads & manage your Private Messages! Search the Bowl Help me! I'm confused!            

HOME > The Bowl > Thinking Outside the Bowl > The Melting Pot > How much do you pay for a 4-litre bag of milk?

How much do you pay for a 4-litre bag of milk?

Go to FIRST page   1   2 3  Next Page -> Go to LAST page   
total pages: 3
  UP to previous discussion
  DOWN to next discussion
Add your Reply to this Discussion!
Couponlady  
Permanent Patient of the Juju Asylum
Add Couponlady to your Ignore List -- this will hide all posts and ignore all PMs from Couponlady
Send a Private Message to Couponlady!

Committed in Nov 2001
I'm in Ottawa (Barrhaven)
ON
Addiction Index™: 1171
Apr 05, 2004  3:37 PM 1

The thread "Quebec Law Makers smoke crack" made me think of starting this thread.

Here in Nova Scotia, we pay $6.19 per 4-litre bag, whether it is 1%, 2%, Homogenized or the other very low fat.

When hubby and I moved here to Halifax, in 1992, the same sold for $5.05, compared to what I was used to pay in Ontario, $3.49. I almost had a heart attack on my first trip to the grocery store! But now, it $6.19.

good sale + coupon = smiley me
Edit/Del  Inappropriate post? Quote this message and Reply to it!
alligator  
Add alligator to your Ignore List -- this will hide all posts and ignore all PMs from alligator
Send a Private Message to alligator!

Committed in May 2002
I'm in The wilds of suburbia with my
sweetie, ON
Addiction Index™: 977
Apr 05, 2004  8:36 PM 2

I think we just paid $4.19 for skim. 1% was a bit cheaper, maybe $3.99... (in ontario)

Life is not a dress rehearsal.
Couponlady  
Add Couponlady to your Ignore List -- this will hide all posts and ignore all PMs from Couponlady

Committed in Nov 2001
ON
Apr 05, 2004  9:24 PM 4

Originally posted by krisfehr13

I think a jug of milk here in Manitoba is about $3.50. I haven't seen any bags of milk. I'd be worried about them popping in my trunk.

Have been buying in bags for over 14 years and never had one bust on me in the trunk or fridge!

Besides, jugs are a new thing here since last summer. haven't bought any of the 4-litre jugs yet.

Couponlady  

Committed in Nov 2001
ON
Apr 05, 2004  9:24 PM 5

Originally posted by krisfehr13

I think a jug of milk here in Manitoba is about $3.50. I haven't seen any bags of milk. I'd be worried about them popping in my trunk.

We almost pay double of what you pay.

CSK'sMom  
Add CSK
Send a Private Message to CSK'sMom!

Committed in Jun 2002
I'm in Niagara Falls
Ontario
Addiction Index™: 1153
Apr 05, 2004  9:50 PM 6

We're currently buying homo milk and paying $4.09 for 4 litres. 2%, 1% and skim are $3.99.

pssstt.... we usually buy our milk in the US for $2.19US regular price for a US gallon. If we're lucky we get it on sale for $1.99US

Janet
Radeon  
Thoroughly Brainwashed
Add Radeon to your Ignore List -- this will hide all posts and ignore all PMs from Radeon
Send a Private Message to Radeon!

Committed in Mar 2004
I'm in Yarmouth
Nova Scotia
Addiction Index™: 412
Apr 05, 2004  10:38 PM 7

I pay 3.27 for a 2 litre Jug of 2% Milk.

~ Sorry Brad, It's Not Your Baby, I got tired of Waiting :) ~
Wolverine  
Recently Committed Human
Add Wolverine to your Ignore List -- this will hide all posts and ignore all PMs from Wolverine
Send a Private Message to Wolverine!

Committed in Jul 2003
I'm in

Addiction Index™: 11
Apr 06, 2004  8:34 AM 8

Originally posted by CSK'sMom
We're currently buying homo milk and paying $4.09 for 4 litres. 2%, 1% and skim are $3.99.

pssstt.... we usually buy our milk in the US for $2.19US regular price for a US gallon. If we're lucky we get it on sale for $1.99US

I don't want to offend you but is there a reason why you don't support our own hard working Canadian milk producers. You run more a risk of buying US milk full of hormones than here in Canada! There is legislature here in Canada that forbids the use of hormones for the purpose that a cow may produce more milk which in turn ends up in the milk our south-of-the-border neighbours drink.

I'll put it this way, here in Nova Scotia, as of early January, the dairy farmers were getting between $0.52-.54 per litre of milk sent to the plant. The difference in price between the cow and the store shelf is to pay the middle man!!

I say we support our own Canadian Dairy Producers.

Edited by Wolverine on
Apr 06, 2004 at 9:39 AM

ghoti  
Growin' Gills!
Add ghoti to your Ignore List -- this will hide all posts and ignore all PMs from ghoti
Send a Private Message to ghoti!

Committed in Sep 2002
I'm in dependently poor

Addiction Index™: 598
Apr 06, 2004  9:31 AM 9

if i was doing that, i would make sure to avoid the stuff from cows given bovine growth hormone (bgh). as it says on the website of a bgh manufacturer, "it's becoming increasingly difficult to find BGH-free milk."

bgh is not allowed in canada, though, so none of our canadian milk has it.

rileysmom  
Succumbing to Mind Control...
Add rileysmom to your Ignore List -- this will hide all posts and ignore all PMs from rileysmom
Send a Private Message to rileysmom!

Committed in Nov 2001
I'm in verdun
quebec
Addiction Index™: 87
Apr 06, 2004  4:32 PM 10

Chapters.Indigo Gift Cards!

Well two of us drink lactaid which costs about 4.27$ for 2 litres and also have to buy 2% milk which is also 2 litres and that is about 2.47$ so it is expensive in our house just for milk. We the lactaid drinkers have 4 litres a week. The 2% person only has the 2 litres a week.

CSK'sMom  
Add CSK

Committed in Jun 2002
I'm in Niagara Falls
Ontario
Apr 06, 2004  5:57 PM 11

Originally posted by Wolverine

I don't want to offend you but is there a reason why you don't support our own hard working Canadian milk producers. You run more a risk of buying US milk full of hormones than here in Canada! There is legislature here in Canada that forbids the use of hormones for the purpose that a cow may produce more milk which in turn ends up in the milk our south-of-the-border neighbours drink.

I'll put it this way, here in Nova Scotia, as of early January, the dairy farmers were getting between $0.52-.54 per litre of milk sent to the plant. The difference in price between the cow and the store shelf is to pay the middle man!!

I say we support our own Canadian Dairy Producers.

It's quite easy, we go through at least 8 litres of milk per DAY in this house. Please don't preach to me about supporting Canadian farmers as we raised beef for years. I know the ins and outs of agriculture here in Canada first hand. Is it safe to assume that you buy strictly Canadian produce, meat and dairy?? I also live in dairy country and thanks to the lovely dairy boards I cannot legally have access to raw milk which is ludicrous. I have no use for marketing boards which by the way is the same opinions that many of the dairy farmers I know have. What other "marketing board" forces the dumping of product because the producer is over quota? Ever see a dairy farmer have to dump thousands of litres of milk on pick-up day because he is over quota and watch is run down the ditch? For an interesting read check this out from the U of G.

And as for the hormone issue, bST is a naturally occuring hormone that is present in ALL milk, including Canadian milk. It's the least of my worries. But then again, I bet you eat Mexican produce....

Janet
curlyQ  
Add curlyQ to your Ignore List -- this will hide all posts and ignore all PMs from curlyQ
Send a Private Message to curlyQ!

Committed in Apr 2002
I'm in over my head here
Ontario
Addiction Index™: 1555
Apr 06, 2004  10:44 PM 12

It's quite easy, we go through at least 8 litres of milk per DAY in this house. Please don't preach to me about supporting Canadian farmers as we raised beef for years. I know the ins and outs of agriculture here in Canada first hand. Is it safe to assume that you buy strictly Canadian produce, meat and dairy?? I also live in dairy country and thanks to the lovely dairy boards I cannot legally have access to raw milk which is ludicrous. I have no use for marketing boards which by the way is the same opinions that many of the dairy farmers I know have. What other "marketing board" forces the dumping of product because the producer is over quota? Ever see a dairy farmer have to dump thousands of litres of milk on pick-up day because he is over quota and watch is run down the ditch? For an interesting read check this out from the U of G.

And as for the hormone issue, bST is a naturally occuring hormone that is present in ALL milk, including Canadian milk. It's the least of my worries. But then again, I bet you eat Mexican produce....

clap clap clap. Couldn't have said it better me self!

Clutter buster supreme!
Wolverine  
Recently Committed Human
Add Wolverine to your Ignore List -- this will hide all posts and ignore all PMs from Wolverine
Send a Private Message to Wolverine!

Committed in Jul 2003
I'm in

Addiction Index™: 11
Apr 07, 2004  9:24 AM 13

You don't need to sound so harsh. I might add I was raised on a dairy farm, in Ontario, where I started milking cows at the ripe age of 9, yes 9 years old. Being the oldest of two daughters, no brothers, I was put to work very early on. (Some may go on to say that today that would be considered exploitation) It was, yes was (as Dad sold shortly after I got married, because of back problems) a family business operating over 450 acres of land, 125 head of dairy cattle. Don't talk to me about hard work!! Dad only hired 1 man during stone picking time and to help unload the hay into the mow if we had more than 4 load to unload at the end of the day.

As for seeing milk being dumped down the drain, been there, done that, almost 19 years ago! You may say farmers are forced to dump their milk on pick-up day, but they do have the opportunity at times to buy extra quota! Been there, done that.

I only buy Canadian meat and dairy products. Here in Nova Scotia, unless it's fruit and vegetable season, which is shorter than in Ontario for example, it's sometimes hard to only buy "Canadain" fruits and vegetables.

As for "BUT then again, I bet you eat Mexican produce..." I resent that. I personally felt attacked by all your comments. You don't know me, I don't know you. When I asked the question " if there was a reason you didn't support Can. milk producers" there was no tone of attack in my comment. So why did you feel the need to attack me?

And there is no need to gang up on me either, is there, CurlyQ?

That's just my two cents worth. I didn't come here to offend anyone but obviously I must have touched a bad nerve with some of you.

Have a nice day, anyway.

Edited by Wolverine on
Apr 07, 2004 at 10:00 AM

CSK'sMom  
Add CSK

Committed in Jun 2002
I'm in Niagara Falls
Ontario
Apr 07, 2004  11:38 AM 14

19 years ago was a long time ago, many, many things have changed in the dairy business. Quotas are very hard to get ahold of now, they are basically auctioned off to the highest bidder. That has resulted in only the "factory farms" being able to buy. Family farms are a thing of the past unfortunately. The kids don't want the farm or lifestyle that it entails now. Non-farmers that want to get in can't, due to the money needed both for quota, land and equipment. Let alone the cost of a good dairy cow now.

You just think you are buying Canadian meat, beef in particular. Beef cattle are moved across the border (both ways). Calves are born in the US, backgrounded and then shipped to Canada for finishing. Technically they are not what I would call Canadian cattle but qualify because they were finished here. I eat 100% organic Canadian beef raised to finish, locally born and slaughtered, can you say the same? I know mine wasn't implanted with growth hormones or fed antibiotics...

Yes I felt attacked, you accused me of being ignorant of the hormone issue of US milk and not caring about what my family eats and drinks. A quick search of my posts would have told you differently. My kids do not eat junk food, they drink only milk and 100% fruit juices, actually eat their 5-10 servings of fruit and vegetable a day(more like 10-15), etc. Do you actually know where your produce comes from?? I do! My husband is a produce buyer for a wholesaler and works on the Ontario Food Terminal. We can tell you exactly what farm every piece of produce that comes into this house comes from. My hubby is incredibly picky as he has seen growing conditions first hand on many of these farms. Practice what you preach and buy Canadian produce, it's available year round, but be prepared to pay the price as well....

Janet
cthebear  
Add cthebear to your Ignore List -- this will hide all posts and ignore all PMs from cthebear
Send a Private Message to cthebear!

Committed in Apr 2003
I'm in The Capital of
British Columbia
Addiction Index™: 1341
Apr 07, 2004  1:20 PM 15

Just cause I can, I'll stick my 2 cents worth into this thread. You're probaly going to love me and what I have to say, but here I go anyway...

Due to the high cost of Cdn. Milk - not exactly sure what it is currently in the Superstore (I'll check and edit this later...) we buy Powdered Milk. In the really, really big size it's about $14.99 and I can't remember the kg's (i'll look on the bag & edit this later).

The reason we buy powdered milk is because we can use it at our leisue and it usually lasts us for quite a few months. We also buy it in generic quantities. Why? BECAUSE IT'S CHEAPER!!! In today's economy you have to save where/when you can.

It's also great for camping, coffee (you don't have to mix it, just sprinkle it) and baking.

We also use Soy milk - it has many good qualities for both men & women. For men it helps prevent Prostate Cancer.

Another milk we've been buying recently (due to my upcoming birth) is Parmalat's Calcium Enriched. It's about $2.99 for 2 litres when on sale.

We get whatever is the cheapest - if a person goes to the states for your milk - hey, whatever works as I'm sure you're supporting Canadian products, farmers, etc... in other ways right?

Our eggs are canadian, heck on occasion we even buy local.

If I could buy made in canada clothes I would - but those are few and far between.

If people buy Canadian - hey that's great - if they buy non-Canadian items then they're supporting free trade ().

It's your life, live it the way YOU want to.

'nuff said, i'm going swimmin' in the bowl again...

Just Married, August 2009!
Add your Reply to this Discussion!
track this discussion
   Go to FIRST page   1   2 3  Next Page -> Go to LAST page   
total pages: 3
  UP to previous discussion
  DOWN to next discussion
Juju's Rules of the Bowl*
• Be friendly - not greedy!
• No question is too stupid! (really!)
Deal with the Gnarlies

*read the the Full rules

HOME > The Bowl > Thinking Outside the Bowl > The Melting Pot > How much do you pay for a 4-litre bag of milk?   

Juju's Bowl | MyBowl | Search Messages | List Cult Members | My Settings | Help       Join Us!
4:08 PM   

Quit pokin' me!

[Home] [Shop-O-Matic] [Juju's Bowl]
Please forward all comments, suggestions, & edible flake donations to JUJU the Bowlmaster
© 1999-2020 GoldfishLegs - All Wrongs Reversed & Trades Marked (because Fish have lawyers too!)