It's Juju, the Canadian Fish!

Take me home, Juju!Deals, Steals, 'n Coupons      Canadian Online Shopping!     Free Stuff for Canada!     Jump into the Message Bowl!

Help & About

All Canadian,
All the time!
           Juju's Message Bowl!  
    MyBowl: Change your settings, view your subscribed threads & manage your Private Messages! Search the Bowl Help me! I'm confused!            

HOME > The Bowl > HELP! I need help with... > What to do with all these packing "peanuts"?

What to do with all these packing "peanuts"?

UP to previous discussion
  DOWN to next discussion
Add your Reply to this Discussion!
MaxPower2000  
Growin' Gills!
Add MaxPower2000 to your Ignore List -- this will hide all posts and ignore all PMs from MaxPower2000
Send a Private Message to MaxPower2000!

Committed in Aug 2001
I'm in Ottawa
ON
Addiction Index™: 593
Feb 18, 2002  8:46 AM 1

Hi all,

One of the downsides to mail ordering stuff is being stuck with garbage bags full of packing styrofoam a.k.a. expanded polystyrene foam (EPS) a.k.a. peanuts.

Does anyone have any idea what to do with this stuff? I have two garbage bags full that I don't want to just throw away. I suspect some packing/courier companies might take them and re-use them.

If no one has any suggestions, I'll just start calling around and see if anyone will take them and post it here since many of you probably order things online.

Thanks!
Rich.

Edit/Del  Inappropriate post? Quote this message and Reply to it!
Ivy  
Slavegirl
Add Ivy to your Ignore List -- this will hide all posts and ignore all PMs from Ivy
Send a Private Message to Ivy!

Committed in Jun 2001
I'm in
Vancouver BC
Addiction Index™: 4540
Feb 18, 2002  9:25 AM 2

A few ideas:

~ I make beanbag chairs outta them.

~ If anyone in your area sells on eBay, they might be interested.

~ Local elementry school might be interested for crafts etc.

~ If your local classifieds has a freebie section you could try that.

~ If all else fails, our recycling depot takes them - so yours might too

bylo  
I live for Juju!
Add bylo to your Ignore List -- this will hide all posts and ignore all PMs from bylo
Send a Private Message to bylo!Visit bylo's homepage!

Committed in Dec 2001
I'm in dexer
GTA
Addiction Index™: 3053
Feb 18, 2002  9:40 AM 3

Originally posted by MaxPower2000 I suspect some packing/courier companies might take them and re-use them.

I recall reading that some mail-order companies actively look for recycled packaging materials like peanuts but I can't remember who specifically. But if there are any mail-order companies in your area you may want to call them.

Ivy's suggestions are good too. Anything is better than land fills where they won't biodegrade.

Could they be used for insulation, say in an attic? Two bags isn't a lot but every little bit helps. (Or are they flammable?)

robwc  
Succumbing to Mind Control...
Add robwc to your Ignore List -- this will hide all posts and ignore all PMs from robwc
Send a Private Message to robwc!

Committed in Sep 2001
I'm in Ottawa, Ontario

Addiction Index™: 92
Feb 18, 2002  9:45 AM 4

Originally posted by MaxPower2000
Does anyone have any idea what to do with this stuff? I have two garbage bags full that I don't want to just throw away. I suspect some packing/courier companies might take them and re-use them.

They do tend to accumulate very quickly, don't they?

Around here (Ottawa) any Mail Boxes Etc. franchise will gladly take packing peanuts. I assume that would be true nationwide too.

Good luck! Thanks for helping to keep them out of the waste stream. Best to reuse when at all possible.

othdawg  
Permanent Patient of the Juju Asylum
Add othdawg to your Ignore List -- this will hide all posts and ignore all PMs from othdawg
Send a Private Message to othdawg!Visit othdawg's homepage!

Committed in Jun 2001
I'm in Vangroover
BC
Addiction Index™: 1745
Feb 18, 2002  12:26 PM 5

Has anyone come across those packing materials made from puffed corn products? They look exactly like those "cheez-puffs" but are white without the cheese sprinking. Oddly enough they even taste similar! They dissolve in water too, so are a snap to chuck out as they will break down nicely.

Much better than the polystyrene stuff if you ask me..

bylo  
I live for Juju!
Add bylo to your Ignore List -- this will hide all posts and ignore all PMs from bylo
Send a Private Message to bylo!Visit bylo's homepage!

Committed in Dec 2001
I'm in dexer
GTA
Addiction Index™: 3053
Feb 18, 2002  1:57 PM 6

Originally posted by othdawg
Has anyone come across those packing materials made from puffed corn products? They look exactly like those "cheez-puffs" but are white without the cheese sprinking. Oddly enough they even taste similar! They dissolve in water too, so are a snap to chuck out as they will break down nicely. Much better than the polystyrene stuff if you ask me..

Ugh! I think I smell a rat

If they're edible then they'd attract rodents and other undesirables in warehouses. Imagine opening a package that's been chewed up by mice? Imagine if the mice are still in the package feasting away!

And if the "cheesies" are treated with some sort of rodent repellent or poison, etc. then imagine if someone's little kid got into them.

Rehan  
Add Rehan to your Ignore List -- this will hide all posts and ignore all PMs from Rehan
Send a Private Message to Rehan!

Committed in Nov 2001
I'm in a car with a slow heater

Addiction Index™: 906
Feb 18, 2002  2:07 PM 7

Originally posted by bylo
Ugh! I think I smell a rat

He kids you not! The Snack Food That's Packing America

But the company died... A Recipe for Disaster

Ivy  
Slavegirl
Add Ivy to your Ignore List -- this will hide all posts and ignore all PMs from Ivy
Send a Private Message to Ivy!

Committed in Jun 2001
I'm in
Vancouver BC
Addiction Index™: 4540
Feb 18, 2002  3:00 PM 8

Originally posted by bylo
And if the "cheesies" are treated with some sort of rodent repellent or poison, etc. then imagine if someone's little kid got into them.

I sure hope not!! My dog LOVES those things!

Peanuts  
Add Peanuts to your Ignore List -- this will hide all posts and ignore all PMs from Peanuts
Send a Private Message to Peanuts!

Committed in Jan 2002
I'm in Pergatory
Ontario
Addiction Index™: 945
Feb 18, 2002  5:36 PM 9

Community centres and day care centres use these as well. Also some subsidized housing projects with programs use them. You might also check your local church, senior's home.

Good luck getting rid of them

Icebreaker  

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
• I'm Brand-Spanking New! •
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Add Icebreaker to your Ignore List -- this will hide all posts and ignore all PMs from Icebreaker
Send a Private Message to Icebreaker!

Committed in May 2011
I'm in

Addiction Index™: 1
May 12, 2011  12:15 PM 10

Hi, I realize this is an old thread and post. (Actually very old) but none the less, if anyone in the Ottawa area has a collection of used styrofoam chip or packing peanuts and looking for someone to take them off their hands, I would be more than grateful. (bubble wrap as well) I run a small home based business that relies on shipping and always looking for ways to keep costs down.

Thanks in advance,

Add your Reply to this Discussion!
track this discussion
  UP to previous discussion
  DOWN to next discussion
Juju's Rules of the Bowl*
• Be friendly - not greedy!
• No question is too stupid! (really!)
Deal with the Gnarlies

*read the the Full rules

HOME > The Bowl > HELP! I need help with... > What to do with all these packing "peanuts"?   

Juju's Bowl | MyBowl | Search Messages | List Cult Members | My Settings | Help       Join Us!
7:37 AM   

Quit pokin' me!

[Home] [Shop-O-Matic] [Juju's Bowl]
Please forward all comments, suggestions, & edible flake donations to JUJU the Bowlmaster
© 1999-2020 GoldfishLegs - All Wrongs Reversed & Trades Marked (because Fish have lawyers too!)