It's Juju, the Canadian Fish!

Take me home, Juju!Deals, Steals, 'n Coupons      Canadian Online Shopping!     Free Stuff for Canada!     Jump into the Message Bowl!

Help & About

All Canadian,
All the time!
           Juju's Message Bowl!  
    MyBowl: Change your settings, view your subscribed threads & manage your Private Messages! Search the Bowl Help me! I'm confused!            

HOME > The Bowl > DVD, Movies, TV, Games > [Region Free Players sold in Canada]

[Region Free Players sold in Canada]

Go to FIRST page <- Previous Page   9 10 11 12   13    Go to LAST page   
total pages: 13
  UP to previous discussion
  DOWN to next discussion
Add your Reply to this Discussion!
NakedGord  
I'm not wearing pants
Add NakedGord to your Ignore List -- this will hide all posts and ignore all PMs from NakedGord
Send a Private Message to NakedGord!Visit NakedGord's homepage!

Committed in May 2001
I'm in Bloc, NDP or Lib-the Cons will still be kept dowm

Addiction Index™: 2750
Jun 28, 2005  5:28 PM 181

No problem

The Kosch is interesting b/c it's region free out of the box apprently however it'd be nicer if they charged a couple bucks more and included a one year warrenty. If an extended warrenty is only a couple bucks it might be worth it.

I was suprised the LG needed a firmware flash to get it region free. Haven't seen that needing to be done to a machine in awhile. More trouble than it's worth imho.

Loblaws Superstore= Superstore btw. It's just called different things around Canada. I think it's Alberta's Superstore in AB for example. The one around me has an electronics dept. with a number of dvd players in it. Wal-Mart has it too for the saem price but you don't get any extra PC points there

Superstore isn't giving out Best Buy GC's there however you mentioned you had an electronic GC or something for $10 so since it's $100 at Best Buy and $90 at Superstore I'd just get it at Superstore for cheaper and use your $10 credit just to get something small (like blank dvds or a movie or something) for free.

The Philips is pretty easy to modify from what I remember. Just pressing a few buttons on the remote and following the instructions. If you need any help with it feel free to ask.

Cheers!

The Naked Gord Program web broadcast. Video, Mp3s and more...
Edit/Del  Inappropriate post? Quote this message and Reply to it!
saugt  

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
• I'm Brand-Spanking New! •
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Add saugt to your Ignore List -- this will hide all posts and ignore all PMs from saugt
Send a Private Message to saugt!

Committed in Mar 2006
I'm in

Addiction Index™: 3
Mar 04, 2006  11:30 PM 182

Malata DVD-856 at Visions (think they are only in W Canada) this weekend for $44. All region out of the box and is DivX compatible. Mediatek chipset. VGA output.

Don't know how it compares to the LG 530 but for $44, it is a great deal.

NakedGord  
I'm not wearing pants
Add NakedGord to your Ignore List -- this will hide all posts and ignore all PMs from NakedGord

Committed in May 2001

Mar 05, 2006  9:39 AM 183

Originally posted by saugt
Malata DVD-856 at Visions (think they are only in W Canada) this weekend for $44. All region out of the box and is DivX compatible. Mediatek chipset. VGA output.

Don't know how it compares to the LG 530 but for $44, it is a great deal.

I saw that. It looks pretty decent. I don't have any experience with that unit but all the Malata's I've read about have gotton top notch reviews. I actually thought they went bust or something since I haven't seen anything from them in *ages*.

For divx this looks nice for the price however for region free it's up in the air since not all Malata's can properly convert anamorphic PAL dvds properly (stretches the image). I'm not sure about Visions return policy but if it's decent it wouldn't hurt to grab it to check if you're in the market.

For myself the Philips 642 has been great for divx and very good for region free. Having said that my top pick still is the Venturer machines (also the same as some Centrinos units from the source). Give a slightly better image than the 642 for PAL discs but the 642 is still damn good.

saugt  

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
• I'm Brand-Spanking New! •
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Add saugt to your Ignore List -- this will hide all posts and ignore all PMs from saugt
Send a Private Message to saugt!

Committed in Mar 2006
I'm in

Addiction Index™: 3
Mar 05, 2006  8:10 PM 184

This one properly converts PAL to NTSC (no probs with anamorphic on 4:3 TV). It's also dual voltage so you can use it worldwide . It probably uses the same Mediatek 1389 family chipsets as the LGs. Of course, Malata is almost non-existent for firmware upgrades, which can be an issue with newer DivX codecs, but people should be using XviD anyways. XviD is free and open source, unlike DivX which is motivated by $$$ so they'll just keep coming out with newer codecs that won't work with older decoders.

NakedGord  
I'm not wearing pants

Committed in May 2001

Mar 06, 2006  8:41 AM 185

Originally posted by saugt
This one properly converts PAL to NTSC (no probs with anamorphic on 4:3 TV). It's also dual voltage so you can use it worldwide . It probably uses the same Mediatek 1389 family chipsets as the LGs. Of course, Malata is almost non-existent for firmware upgrades, which can be an issue with newer DivX codecs, but people should be using XviD anyways. XviD is free and open source, unlike DivX which is motivated by $$$ so they'll just keep coming out with newer codecs that won't work with older decoders.

Agreed with the whole "keeping up with the Jones" for divx players however I've even had some xvids that were too new to play on my 642. What somebody needs to do is make a MP4 player (divx, xvid, Nero Digital, H.264 etc) that runs linux and will allow whatever codecs the user wants to be installed.

Add your Reply to this Discussion!
track this discussion
   Go to FIRST page <- Previous Page   9 10 11 12   13    Go to LAST page   
total pages: 13
  UP to previous discussion
  DOWN to next discussion
Juju's Rules of the Bowl*
• Be friendly - not greedy!
• No question is too stupid! (really!)
Deal with the Gnarlies

*read the the Full rules

HOME > The Bowl > DVD, Movies, TV, Games > [Region Free Players sold in Canada]   

Juju's Bowl | MyBowl | Search Messages | List Cult Members | My Settings | Help       Join Us!
8:27 AM   

Quit pokin' me!

[Home] [Shop-O-Matic] [Juju's Bowl]
Please forward all comments, suggestions, & edible flake donations to JUJU the Bowlmaster
© 1999-2020 GoldfishLegs - All Wrongs Reversed & Trades Marked (because Fish have lawyers too!)