It's Juju, the Canadian Fish!

Take me home, Juju!Deals, Steals, 'n Coupons      Canadian Online Shopping!     Free Stuff for Canada!     Jump into the Message Bowl!

Help & About

All Canadian,
All the time!
           Juju's Message Bowl!  
    MyBowl: Change your settings, view your subscribed threads & manage your Private Messages! Search the Bowl Help me! I'm confused!            

HOME > The Bowl > HELP! I need help with... > How can I clean up an old Hotmail account?

How can I clean up an old Hotmail account?

UP to previous discussion
  DOWN to next discussion
Add your Reply to this Discussion!
PTIJerm  
Thoroughly Brainwashed
Add PTIJerm to your Ignore List -- this will hide all posts and ignore all PMs from PTIJerm
Send a Private Message to PTIJerm!

Committed in Jul 2001
I'm in Vinland the Good

Addiction Index™: 481
Nov 21, 2002  7:29 AM 1

Help!

I've got an old hotmail acount that I don't use anymore, because it is swamped with junkmail.

There are over 700 messages in my Inbox, and all but 5 of them are garbage. For many months now, my account has said: "Account Size Critical".

It will take me FOREVER to delete them all, clicking each individual check-box. Because my account size is "critical", the damn email account is VERY slow - freezing for about 10 seconds each time I click a check-box. Does anyone have a quick solution for deleting all these messages, so that I can start 'fresh'?

Is there any way to do a clean sweep of the Inbox (i.e. delete ALL messages)? I know you can empty the junk mail folder with one easy click, but I have been unable to find a method to do this with the Inbox.

Help...

It is safe to tell a secret to one,
Risky to tell it to two,
To tell it to three is thoughtless folly,
Everyone else will know.

- Havamal

Edit/Del  Inappropriate post? Quote this message and Reply to it!
bylo  
I live for Juju!
Add bylo to your Ignore List -- this will hide all posts and ignore all PMs from bylo
Send a Private Message to bylo!Visit bylo's homepage!

Committed in Dec 2001
I'm in dexer
GTA
Addiction Index™: 3053
Nov 21, 2002  7:43 AM 2

If you have Outlook Express, go to Tools, Accounts... to create a new mail account. Use your Hotmail address and the wizard will recognize it as such.

Then select the new account and do a Synchronize Account (or Tools, Synchronize All.) This may take a while, especially if you're on a dial-up line, because it will download all that junk to your PC.

Once it's all there, you can just do a "Select All" (Ctl-A) to select everything in your Inbox then "Delete" (Ctl-D) to blow it all away. Then you'll have to wait again while OE resynchs with the great Hotmail server in the sky.

The good news though, is that they've been bouncing spams that arrived after you got to 700 items, so now you should notice a marked reduction in the number ofnew spams.

P.S. OE is so much better for managing Hotmail mail boxes that I rarely use the web interface anymore. It's built into IE so you probably already have it installed even if you don't use it.

P.P.S. Make sure that you (a) keep IE/OE up to date, (b) check on your security settings in OE to ensure that all the usual Java, ActiveX et al stuff is disabled and (c) lose the preview pane. Otherwise you open yourself up to the latest and greatest virii that the Internet's "finest" can concoct.

P.P.P.S. When you're on the Hotmail web interface after the cleanup, make sure to enable their spam blocker to the highest setting.

Edited by bylo on
Nov 21, 2002 at 7:45 AM

bylo  
I live for Juju!
Add bylo to your Ignore List -- this will hide all posts and ignore all PMs from bylo

Committed in Dec 2001
I'm in dexer
GTA
Nov 21, 2002  9:01 AM 3

Originally posted by Lucette
If you want to delete them all, go to the top of your mail list (dark blue strip -from> subject> date> size) and check "from" it will check all messages, and then you can hit delete!

That's too easy! (But it does demonstrate how rarely I use the web interface any more.)

seahawk  
Succumbing to Mind Control...
Add seahawk to your Ignore List -- this will hide all posts and ignore all PMs from seahawk
Send a Private Message to seahawk!

Committed in Jul 2002
I'm in Abbotsford
BC
Addiction Index™: 71
Nov 21, 2002  10:45 AM 4

Go here and down load mailwasher its awesome.
http://www.mailwasher.net

its still going to take some time to get rid of those 700 emails. But if you use the program all the time you will see your spam go down to almost nothing. I went from 50 junk per day to about 5

Also go to your hotmail account select the options tab.
Then go to filters.
then place words that appear in junk mail subject line in the appropriate boxs and select to send them to the trash can. Words like mortgage, Loan, Debt, Interest, plus a few more I'd rather not mention.

PTIJerm  
Thoroughly Brainwashed
Add PTIJerm to your Ignore List -- this will hide all posts and ignore all PMs from PTIJerm

Committed in Jul 2001
I'm in Vinland the Good

Nov 21, 2002  12:36 PM 5

Thanks everyone!

There is some VERY useful information there...

On a related matter...I DO use Microsoft Outlook. How do I:

1. close the preview pane?;

2. setup Outlook so that on Windows startup, the program is automatically opened but minimized in the system tray section of the toolbar? In other words, how can I add the 'new mail notification' icon to the System Tray to alert me to new mail without having to open the program? Does Outlook have a separate 'mail notification' program?

Risky to tell it to two,
Everyone else will know.

- Havamal

ghoti  
Growin' Gills!
Add ghoti to your Ignore List -- this will hide all posts and ignore all PMs from ghoti
Send a Private Message to ghoti!

Committed in Sep 2002
I'm in dependently poor

Addiction Index™: 598
Nov 21, 2002  12:46 PM 6

New & Hot Teen Books at Chapters!

ptijerm, you do mean outlook and not outlook express, right? which version do you use?

bylo  
I live for Juju!

Committed in Dec 2001
I'm in dexer
GTA
Nov 21, 2002  1:10 PM 7

Originally posted by PTIJerm
Thanks everyone!

There is some VERY useful information there...

On a related matter...I DO use Microsoft Outlook. How do I:

1. close the preview pane?;

In Outlook Express go to View, Layout, Preview Pane, then uncheck the option.

2. setup Outlook so that on Windows startup, the program is automatically opened but minimized in the system tray section of the toolbar? In other words, how can I add the 'new mail notification' icon to the System Tray to alert me to new mail without having to open the program? Does Outlook have a separate 'mail notification' program?

Again, with Outlook Express you could copy the OE shortcut to the Startup folder (whose location varies depending on which version of Windows you use.) You'll gey a new mail icon in the system tray that looks like an envelope with an arrow wrapped around it.

If you use the Outlook that comes with Office, then first check to see if it even supports Hotmail's proprietary interface. (Older versions of Office did not, but it's possible that's been corrected.)

ghoti  
Growin' Gills!
Add ghoti to your Ignore List -- this will hide all posts and ignore all PMs from ghoti
Send a Private Message to ghoti!

Committed in Sep 2002
I'm in dependently poor

Addiction Index™: 598
Nov 21, 2002  1:22 PM 8

Originally posted by bylo
Again, with Outlook Express you could copy the OE shortcut to the Startup folder (whose location varies depending on which version of Windows you use.)

to launch this minimized on startup, edit the properties of the shortcut and choose "minimized" for the run option in the general tab.

also, try hideoe for outlook express or hideolk for outlook.

Edited by ghoti on
Nov 21, 2002 at 1:23 PM

PTIJerm  
Thoroughly Brainwashed

Committed in Jul 2001
I'm in Vinland the Good

Nov 21, 2002  5:50 PM 9

Thanks guys!

Risky to tell it to two,
Everyone else will know.

- Havamal

Add your Reply to this Discussion!
track this discussion
  UP to previous discussion
  DOWN to next discussion
Juju's Rules of the Bowl*
• Be friendly - not greedy!
• No question is too stupid! (really!)
Deal with the Gnarlies

*read the the Full rules

HOME > The Bowl > HELP! I need help with... > How can I clean up an old Hotmail account?   

Juju's Bowl | MyBowl | Search Messages | List Cult Members | My Settings | Help       Join Us!
11:38 PM   

Quit pokin' me!

[Home] [Shop-O-Matic] [Juju's Bowl]
Please forward all comments, suggestions, & edible flake donations to JUJU the Bowlmaster
© 1999-2020 GoldfishLegs - All Wrongs Reversed & Trades Marked (because Fish have lawyers too!)