It's Juju, the Canadian Fish!

Take me home, Juju!Deals, Steals, 'n Coupons      Canadian Online Shopping!     Free Stuff for Canada!     Jump into the Message Bowl!

Help & About

All Canadian,
All the time!
           Juju's Message Bowl!  
    MyBowl: Change your settings, view your subscribed threads & manage your Private Messages! Search the Bowl Help me! I'm confused!            

HOME > The Bowl > DVD, Movies, TV, Games > HollyWebDVD: Canadian Online DVD Rentals!

HollyWebDVD: Canadian Online DVD Rentals!

Go to FIRST page   1   2 3 4 5  Next Page -> Go to LAST page   
total pages: 11
  UP to previous discussion
  DOWN to next discussion
Add your Reply to this Discussion!
GoldfishLegs  
Juju's put me back on the chain-gang.
Send a Private Message to GoldfishLegs!Visit GoldfishLegs's homepage!

Committed in May 2001
I'm in pain from Juju's fin wapping!

Addiction Index™: 7627
Jul 07, 2001  12:48 AM 1

http://hollywebdvd.com

$25/month for an “unlimited” number of DVDs. You can rent the DVDs as fast as you can watch ‘em and return ‘em. There’s no monthly limit. As usual, you can cancel any time you like - "there's no obligation".

HollyWebDVD is located and ships from Alberta.

DISCOUNT COUPON CODE: 1538
Use this coupon code to get the first month at 1/2 price. So your first month is only $12.50CDN. Again, this is for a whole month of DVDs -- compare this to how many DVD rentals can you get for $12.50 at Blockbusters!
-----------

Feel free to ask any questions about the service here.

Steve from customer service will pop in every now and then to answer any of your strange questions.

Some frequently asked questions:

Q: Where does HollyWebDVD ship from?
A: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Q: Does a month always end at the end of the month or 30 days from when I sign up?
A: The month ends on the anniversary of the day your first selections were shipped out.
Example: you sign up on July 22, your first discs ship out July 25 => your first month ends August 25.

Q: How long does it take for the prepaid envelopes to be returned by mail? If the next batch of rentals is shipped only when all 3 of the previous batch is returned, then the return time directly affects how many rentals I can get in a given month.
A: Each disc comes with it's own return envelope. After you've watched your movie, mail it back right away. They will ship your next movie the SAME day your return is received, so turnaround time will be quick.

Q: What if I want to cancel the service?
A: If you want to cancel, you just notify them at a few days before your month is up. You then have 2 weeks to return any DVDs still in your possession.

Q: I am in Edmonton. Can I simply pick up (an drop off) the DVDs myself instead of using Canada Post?
A: That would introduce additional complexities that would impair our fulfillment time. You have to just mail the DVD's back. As well, one of the advantages of the service is that you don't have to drive to the video store.

Edited by a Juju Slave on
Jul 12, 2001 at 12:29 AM

Edit/Del  Inappropriate post? Quote this message and Reply to it!
GoldfishLegs  

Committed in May 2001

Jul 07, 2001  12:49 AM 2

NG: Here ya go! I know you've been waiting impatiently

Chuck: Let 'er rip! - sorry about the gag order the past few days

Costa The Slaveboy
NakedGord  
I'm not wearing pants
Add NakedGord to your Ignore List -- this will hide all posts and ignore all PMs from NakedGord
Send a Private Message to NakedGord!Visit NakedGord's homepage!

Committed in May 2001
I'm in Bloc, NDP or Lib-the Cons will still be kept dowm

Addiction Index™: 2750
Jul 07, 2001  3:10 AM 3

Thanks Juju!

Actually I poped into the main site a couple of days ago and saw the test link that was up for about five minutes or so and saw the package. I was a little disappointed when I didn't see any Verisign or SSL logo anywhere but they must have one of some kind. I'll just have to make sure that lock things shows up when I join.

I was so happy when I saw they had both Elvis Gratton movies! It'll save my from buying them off of HMV for $50 just to watch 'em (really been puttin it off till a better option came along).

I have my exam later on this month and I think it'd be better for me to put off an unlimited DVD rental package till then Don't want to get a zero on a bird test...Do you know if the 1/2 off code will be working for the 1st of Augest?

Edited by NakedGord on
Jul 07, 2001 at 4:12 AM

Unregistered  
Unregistered

Committed in -
I'm in

Addiction Index™: -
Jul 07, 2001  9:10 AM 4

Great Deal Will probably use service. Is the company based out of Calgary or Edmonton?

Kwasi  
Unregistered

Committed in -
I'm in

Jul 07, 2001  9:11 AM 5

Questions:

1) Does a month always end at the end of the month or 30 days from when I sign up?

2) How long does it take for the prepaid envelopes to be returned by mail? If the next batch of rentals is shipped only when all 3 of the previous batch is returned, then the return time directly affects how many rentals I can get in a given month.

3) Am I signing up on the months I want or is it an ongoing thing where the fee is withdrawn automatically every month? That part about being able to "cancel anytime without obligation" makes me think it would be the latter once you sign up, so it would be like cable TV applied to DVD rentals.

$12.50 is a pretty good deal just to give it a try though.

Kwasi  
Unregistered

Committed in -
I'm in

Jul 07, 2001  9:41 AM 6

More questions:

addendum to 2) delivery transit time also affects the number of rentals per month. I estimate about 3 DVDs a week including delivery and return time plus a couple of days to watch them all. This may be optimistic because of the weekend.

4) What happens if Canada Post loses a shipment?

5) How are the DVDs shipped/protected? DVDs are easily prone to damage and it affects playback. There will probably be many people trying to get one title, especially new releases, which means more chances of damage. This is increased by having to mail the discs back and forth.

6) How many copies of popular titles are available to rent?

7) Where in Alberta are you based? I make deliveries in Calgary and Airdrie all the time and wondered if returns can be brought to a physical location to decrease mail transit time.

GoldfishLegs  

Committed in May 2001

Jul 07, 2001  10:48 AM 7

Originally posted by NakedGord
Thanks Juju!

I was a little disappointed when I didn't see any Verisign or SSL logo anywhere but they must have one of some kind. I'll just have to make sure that lock things shows up when I join.

Click on "New Account Signup" - you'll see the THAWTE logo. Thawte is a less pricey Security Certificate than Verisign - same 128bit SSL though.

Does a month always end at the end of the month or 30 days from when I sign up?

Do you know if the 1/2 off code will be working for the 1st of Augest?

Good question... though the "month" starts whenever you sign up so you don't have to wait for the 1st of the month.

2) How long does it take for the prepaid envelopes to be returned by mail?

As you mention Kwasi, it depends on your location. I'm not sure of the the "handling overhead" involved - Steve will have to answer that one. But you get 1 envelope per DVD - so you can mail a disc off as soon as you watch it -- no need to watch all 3 DVDs before sending them back.

3) Am I signing up on the months I want or is it an ongoing thing where the fee is withdrawn automatically every month?

Yes, it's monthly and withdrawn automatically on the anniversary of your signup. If you want to cancel, you just notify them at a few days before the month is up. You then have ~2 weeks to return any DVDs still in your possession.

4) 5) 6) 7)

I'll leave these to Steve.

Costa The Slaveboy
GoldfishLegs  

Committed in May 2001

Jul 07, 2001  10:53 AM 8

Originally posted by Unregistered
Great Deal Will probably use service. Is the company based out of Calgary or Edmonton?

St. Albert, Alberta, Canada T8N 1N3

I have no idea where St. Albert is -- though that T in the postal code is the same as for Edmonton.

Costa The Slaveboy
Chuck  
Permanent Patient of the Juju Asylum
Add Chuck to your Ignore List -- this will hide all posts and ignore all PMs from Chuck
Send a Private Message to Chuck!Visit Chuck's homepage!

Committed in Jun 2001
I'm in Belleville
ON
Addiction Index™: 1429
Jul 07, 2001  12:29 PM 9

Originally posted by Kwasi
More questions:

4) What happens if Canada Post loses a shipment?

Hollyweb will absorb the cost of the loss of 1 (not sure if that is shipment or DVD), after that you are reponsible.

5) How are the DVDs shipped/protected? DVDs are easily prone to damage and it affects playback. There will probably be many people trying to get one title, especially new releases, which means more chances of damage. This is increased by having to mail the discs back and forth.

Steve said they have some custom packaging to ship them (I would assume they have considered this as they have more to lose from damaged DVD's then anyone else)

6) How many copies of popular titles are available to rent?

This is for Steve, however I dont know if its something he would share -- its like asking my how many customer my company has)

7) Where in Alberta are you based? I make deliveries in Calgary and Airdrie all the time and wondered if returns can be brought to a physical location to decrease mail transit time.

The ship from Edmonton

Chuck  
Permanent Patient of the Juju Asylum
Add Chuck to your Ignore List -- this will hide all posts and ignore all PMs from Chuck
Send a Private Message to Chuck!Visit Chuck's homepage!

Committed in Jun 2001
I'm in Belleville
ON
Addiction Index™: 1429
Jul 07, 2001  12:31 PM 10

I was slow to respond You did a good job anyways. Now I just have to convince Steve to apply the promo code to my account (otherwise I have to be a prick and close my account and re-open it).

Originally posted by GoldfishLegs
NG: Here ya go! I know you've been waiting impatiently

Chuck: Let 'er rip! - sorry about the gag order the past few days

Steve  
Unregistered

Committed in -
I'm in

Jul 07, 2001  1:45 PM 11

Wow! That's a lot of questions for one morning. My thanks to Chuck and Juju for answering some of them. I'll try to finish the job:

The SSL key is active. You can confirm it during the signup process by clicking on the Thawte logo.

We ship from Edmonton. Turnaround time at our fulfillment center is very quick. We will ship your replacement disk the SAME day that we receive one in a return envelope. This is something we are fanatical about because it affects how many movies you can watch.

The monthly membership fee is charged on the anniversary of your signup date -- not the 30th of the month. You can cancel at any time.

Yes, the movies are mailed one at a time. So you can return one while you still have 2 on your coffee table. The idea is that you are never without a movie to watch. You can check on the Shipping Status button to see what we have received back from you and when movies were shipped. For those of you that signed up today, your movies will be shipped on Monday and the Shipping Status will reflect that on Monday.

Thanks for the questions and for giving our service a shot. Keep the comments coming as we have made several changes already based on customer feedback!

Cheers!

Steve@Hollywebdvd.com

Steve  
Unregistered

Committed in -
I'm in

Jul 07, 2001  1:47 PM 12

One more answer for the guy writing the exam:

We don't want to affect your grades, so the code will be left active!

Cyanne  
Thoroughly Brainwashed
Add Cyanne to your Ignore List -- this will hide all posts and ignore all PMs from Cyanne
Send a Private Message to Cyanne!

Committed in Jun 2001
I'm in my happy place
Montreal
Addiction Index™: 542
Jul 07, 2001  11:02 PM 13 Toys You'll Love Under $15 at Chapters!

Me! Me! Me! I have a question! I've never participated in a program like this before (though I suspect I'm about to). What happens if you go on vacation for a month or two? Obviously, thrifty fish that I am, I wouldn't want to spend $$ for time I'm not home. Would I be able to do something like with my satellite tv where I can get my service suspended while I'm away or would I have to cancel and then resubscribe when I came back?

Unregistered  
Unregistered

Committed in -
I'm in

Jul 08, 2001  10:11 AM 14

Originally posted by GoldfishLegs

St. Albert, Alberta, Canada T8N 1N3

I have no idea where St. Albert is -- though that T in the postal code is the same as for Edmonton.

St Albert is on Edmontons city limits almost a suburb of edmonton

GoldfishLegs  

Committed in May 2001

Jul 09, 2001  10:06 AM 15

I'm impressed at the selection they have.

They've got obscure stuff like "Seven Samurai - Criterion" which really surprised me.

I always keep a "DVDs to rent" text file updated, and I was surprised that about 75% of the titles I wanted were available. (when I put the same list through DVDHype, it was more like 25% available - depressing!).

And if they don't have a title, you can request it in the member account area. Nifty.

Costa The Slaveboy
Add your Reply to this Discussion!
track this discussion
   Go to FIRST page   1   2 3 4 5  Next Page -> Go to LAST page   
total pages: 11
  UP to previous discussion
  DOWN to next discussion
Juju's Rules of the Bowl*
• Be friendly - not greedy!
• No question is too stupid! (really!)
Deal with the Gnarlies

*read the the Full rules

HOME > The Bowl > DVD, Movies, TV, Games > HollyWebDVD: Canadian Online DVD Rentals!   

Juju's Bowl | MyBowl | Search Messages | List Cult Members | My Settings | Help       Join Us!
8:27 PM   

Quit pokin' me!

[Home] [Shop-O-Matic] [Juju's Bowl]
Please forward all comments, suggestions, & edible flake donations to JUJU the Bowlmaster
© 1999-2020 GoldfishLegs - All Wrongs Reversed & Trades Marked (because Fish have lawyers too!)