It's Juju, the Canadian Fish!

Take me home, Juju!Deals, Steals, 'n Coupons      Canadian Online Shopping!     Free Stuff for Canada!     Jump into the Message Bowl!

Help & About

All Canadian,
All the time!
           Juju's Message Bowl!  
    MyBowl: Change your settings, view your subscribed threads & manage your Private Messages! Search the Bowl Help me! I'm confused!            

HOME > The Bowl > Thinking Outside the Bowl > Wearing a white poppy to promote peace

Wearing a white poppy to promote peace

UP to previous discussion
  DOWN to next discussion
Add your Reply to this Discussion!
NakedGord  
I'm not wearing pants
Add NakedGord to your Ignore List -- this will hide all posts and ignore all PMs from NakedGord
Send a Private Message to NakedGord!Visit NakedGord's homepage!

Committed in May 2001
I'm in Bloc, NDP or Lib-the Cons will still be kept dowm

Addiction Index™: 2750
Nov 10, 2006  7:50 AM 1

Google News articles:

http://news.google.com/news?sourcei....html&hl=en

Good idea. Someone on another board suggested making your own if you can't find them in your area.

The Naked Gord Program web broadcast. Video, Mp3s and more... Edited by NakedGord on
Nov 10, 2006 at 9:00 AM

Edit/Del  Inappropriate post? Quote this message and Reply to it!
Babysitter  
Permanent Patient of the Juju Asylum
Add Babysitter to your Ignore List -- this will hide all posts and ignore all PMs from Babysitter
Send a Private Message to Babysitter!Visit Babysitter's homepage!

Committed in Apr 2006
I'm in Fredericton
New Brunswick
Addiction Index™: 1482
Nov 10, 2006  8:00 AM 2

lol..groan.

http://bd.lilypie.com/kyhWm3/.png
radish  
Thoroughly Brainwashed
Add radish to your Ignore List -- this will hide all posts and ignore all PMs from radish
Send a Private Message to radish!

Committed in Jun 2006
I'm in kamloops
b.c.
Addiction Index™: 331
Nov 10, 2006  1:10 PM 3

this is only my opinion .......I think the white poppy is a great idea, for any other time of year OTHER than November 11th. I think the red poppy is for remembering our forces and the men and women who have died for our country for peace. I dont think that Nov 11th should be for a time of protest, or a political or personal statement. however, once again i will say white poppy=great , just not one Nov 11th. 'lest we forget'

Fossil  
Add Fossil to your Ignore List -- this will hide all posts and ignore all PMs from Fossil
Send a Private Message to Fossil!

Committed in Apr 2005
I'm in Powell River
British Columbia
Addiction Index™: 1486
Nov 10, 2006  3:44 PM 4

Originally posted by radish
I think the red poppy is for remembering our forces and the men and women who have died for our country for peace.

I agree it should not be used as a "protest", but as radish said our forces died for PEACE - and I personally think it would be a nice idea to wear one of each, not as a statement but as a remembrance of those who died for peace years ago and those who are still doing so.

Just my 2 cent's worth.

Mothers love and teach - GRANDMOTHERS teach love!
§weet_N§_Honey  
Growin' Gills!
Add §weet_N§_Honey to your Ignore List -- this will hide all posts and ignore all PMs from §weet_N§_Honey
Send a Private Message to §weet_N§_Honey!

Committed in May 2002
I'm in River Hebert
Nova Scotia
Addiction Index™: 602
Nov 10, 2006  7:32 PM 5

The Royal Canadian Legion owns the image of the poppy regardless of its color, if this "peace" group wants to sell a flower then use another one.

The Royal Canadian Legion raises funds from the sale of poppies to support vetrans. If you are going to buy a poppy, buy a red one from a RCL member or a cadet, at least you know where your money is going, its going to support men and women who gave their lives so that you could live the way you do.

"Veterans say the activists are unlawfully selling white poppies in a fundraising drive that violates trademark rights to the scarlet poppy, which they say belongs to the Legion."

"The red poppy has been Canada's symbol of remembrance since 1921 and stems from Lieutenant-Colonel John McCrae's famous poem, In Flanders Fields, which speaks to the fear that the war dead will be forgotten. Canadians, and others in countries around the world, wear poppies over their hearts leading up to Remembrance Day on Nov. 11 as a pledge that the deaths of military personnel, in Canada's case 117,000 of them, have not been in vain."

"has been selling the poppies for $2 apiece, with the proceeds used to fund the store's “activism” efforts " I wonder if most people know where there money is going

Just my 2 cents.

Lord If You Can't Make Me Thin, Please Make My Friends Fat!
jacqui  
Thoroughly Brainwashed
Add jacqui to your Ignore List -- this will hide all posts and ignore all PMs from jacqui
Send a Private Message to jacqui!

Committed in Apr 2006
I'm in bloomfield
new brunswick
Addiction Index™: 441
Nov 11, 2006  7:12 AM 6

Originally posted by §weet_N§_Honey
The Royal Canadian Legion owns the image of the poppy regardless of its color, if this "peace" group wants to sell a flower then use another one.

The Royal Canadian Legion raises funds from the sale of poppies to support vetrans. If you are going to buy a poppy, buy a red one from a RCL member or a cadet, at least you know where your money is going, its going to support men and women who gave their lives so that you could live the way you do.

"Veterans say the activists are unlawfully selling white poppies in a fundraising drive that violates trademark rights to the scarlet poppy, which they say belongs to the Legion."

"The red poppy has been Canada's symbol of remembrance since 1921 and stems from Lieutenant-Colonel John McCrae's famous poem, In Flanders Fields, which speaks to the fear that the war dead will be forgotten. Canadians, and others in countries around the world, wear poppies over their hearts leading up to Remembrance Day on Nov. 11 as a pledge that the deaths of military personnel, in Canada's case 117,000 of them, have not been in vain."

"has been selling the poppies for $2 apiece, with the proceeds used to fund the store's “activism” efforts " I wonder if most people know where there money is going

Just my 2 cents.

I agree , the money that comes from the sale of poppies goes to helping the vets , where is this peace activism money going ?
I`m all for peace but this is very disrespectful in my opinion, why not use a different flower?
IMO

LAW OF PROBABILITY:The probability of being watched is directly proportional to the stupidity of your act.
Fossil  
Add Fossil to your Ignore List -- this will hide all posts and ignore all PMs from Fossil
Send a Private Message to Fossil!

Committed in Apr 2005
I'm in Powell River
British Columbia
Addiction Index™: 1486
Nov 11, 2006  2:03 PM 7

Once again I made a post that came out totally different from what I intended - blame it on old age & dry rot! (or can I blame Naked Gord - this always seems to happen to me in a thread he started).

What I meant to say - and didn't say right - is that I thought it would be a good idea for the LEGION to sell white poppies as well as red ones. I didn't mean to condone people making donations to some group with unspecified goals - I am well aware (having been a war baby) of how the Legion uses donations and my intention was to suggest a way these could be added to by selling a poppy of each colour.

Sorry fishies - I will swim back under the gravel now

Mothers love and teach - GRANDMOTHERS teach love!
Aurora  
Add Aurora to your Ignore List -- this will hide all posts and ignore all PMs from Aurora
Send a Private Message to Aurora!Visit Aurora's homepage!

Committed in May 2004
I'm in Truro
Nova Scotia
Addiction Index™: 1057
Nov 11, 2006  7:16 PM 8 Save Up 90% With Our Deal of the Week at Chapters!

According to news reports I saw, the money from th white poppies goes back to the United Kingdom group who makes and distributes them. Peace is important but I'll support the vets poppy campaign first and foremost in Canada.

hip as a chip  
Thoroughly Brainwashed
Add hip as a chip to your Ignore List -- this will hide all posts and ignore all PMs from hip as a chip
Send a Private Message to hip as a chip!

Committed in Mar 2006
I'm in

Addiction Index™: 328
Nov 11, 2006  11:57 PM 9

I find white poppies to be both ridiculous and offensive.

As far as I understand, the traditional poppies adminstered by the Royal Canadian Legion (RCL) act for the promotion of peace. However white poppies imply that an alternative program is needed to promote that condition, as the existing one (under the RCL) is jingoist (in support of war/armed conflict)! The implication is highly offensive as the operative philosophy of your typical veteran and their organisations is "NEVER AGAIN" which in itself implies the preference for peace.

To honour your nation's dead and troops is not inextricable to the support of war
(as a footnote, I've noticed the current debate on Afghanistan has been framed in these terms; i.e. to be unsupportive of the military mission is to denigrate 'our' troops. In my case, I abhor war and Canadian involvement in such, but I lament the lives of soldiers lost. Stealing a phrase from the NDP, "SUPPORT OUR TROOPS: BRING THEM HOME.")

Add your Reply to this Discussion!
track this discussion
  UP to previous discussion
  DOWN to next discussion
Juju's Rules of the Bowl*
• Be friendly - not greedy!
• No question is too stupid! (really!)
Deal with the Gnarlies

*read the the Full rules

HOME > The Bowl > Thinking Outside the Bowl > Wearing a white poppy to promote peace   

Juju's Bowl | MyBowl | Search Messages | List Cult Members | My Settings | Help       Join Us!
3:33 PM   

Quit pokin' me!

[Home] [Shop-O-Matic] [Juju's Bowl]
Please forward all comments, suggestions, & edible flake donations to JUJU the Bowlmaster
© 1999-2020 GoldfishLegs - All Wrongs Reversed & Trades Marked (because Fish have lawyers too!)